Friday, October 28, 2011

Lorazepam!

Today was my follow-up appointment to my doctors. In preparation I popped an Ativan before heading out. I had been taking them for a couple days and felt no effects. I had no anxiety, but I normally don't when I'm home. So, no side effects or any noticeable effects whatsoever was good enough for me. I thought maybe they're placebo's. That'd be a great practical joke.

                "Hey, grandma I replaced all your pills with Smarties. Pretty good one huh? Oh relax, I'm sure your blood pressure is fine!"

Once I got into the car with my mother I realized taking a pill to reduce my anxiety was the smartest thing I've done in a while. After being stuck in traffic with her, hearing her pick apart every living person that walked by, yell at a bunch of kids for crossing the street wrong and generally just being my mom I was glad I had a little chemical help. 

"LISTEN KID I WILL COME OVER THERE AND GODDAMN STRANGLE YOU WITH YOUR LOWER INTESTINE IF YOU DARE CROSS THE PATH OF MY CHILD CRUSHER MOBILE!"

She didn't say those exact words, but if she had my respect-o meter would've certainly shot up. 
 
We finally get to the doctors office. I'm quasi-traumatized from the ride there. I was sure if they were gonna make us wait, she'd go Bruce Campbell a la Army of Darkness on everyone's ass. I prayed to the Pfizer gods everything would work out, not for my sake, but for everyone's lives. I'm thoughtful. 

"We don't have you scheduled for today...", the receptionist informed me.

'Dear god, lady. You don't even know what Pandora's box you just opened. Ever see Hellraiser?', I thought to myself. 

"Well, I have my appointment card right here...", I pulled it from my wallet. My mom grabbed it out of my hands. "See...the 28th!"

My mom paused. Someone was going to get hell. 'Please don't take it out on these poor innocent folks', I begged, hoping my thoughts could transfer.

She makes it look easy. It's not. 
 
 
 "Erin, this is for NEXT MONTH!", my mom said, rolling her eyes. "Ya fahkin retahded, ya know that?" 

I was happy it wasn't someone else's fault. I can handle the rage. I've grown a thick skin to it. 

"Mum...I love you. This was a ploy to spend time with you." It seemed like a proper response. I gave her my best please-don't-tear-me-a-new-one-look.

Pretty much this face here. Minus the ass head.


So, we went to the express clinic downstairs. It didn't appear very busy. (I needed something for my jaw pain. Never having had my wisdom teeth removed, I got to experience the facial equivalence of child birth pain.) So, "EXPRESS" clinic. Let's find out exactly what that word means first and then we'll move on.
 
"ex·press [ik-spres]
 
11.direct or fast, especially making few or no intermediate stops: an express train; an express elevator."
 
I don't know if that term is subjective or not, but 3 hours in an express clinic is not very "express" to me. If 3 hours is express, what the goddamn hell is lengthy? 

Bottom line of that story, the nurse practitioner, who bared the best resemblance I've seen to Cruella DeVille, gave me some pain relievers to get through the weekend before I make a dentist appointment. 

"And I expect you to take these twice a day, or I'll turn your beloved family pet into mittens!"

After that fiasco, we went to the pharmacy to pick up the prescription. It was called in at the wrong pharmacy. Another hour of my life gone, wandering down the isles looking at cheap Halloween decorations and tampons. 

What I've learned today:
Double check appointment cards
Cruella DeVille loves making patients wait 
Lorazepam is extremely helpful
My heart rate wasn't the usual 130bpms with the medication
It was 82bpms. Win.
My mom's wrath is ungodly. (This is a continual learning process)




Well, until my next appointment...



(P.S. Still waiting on a call from the endocrinologist for an appointment, and no results yet from the heart monitor. I'm getting use to waiting. My anxiety isn't gone, but my patience is getting to the monk level. DING!)

No comments:

Post a Comment